Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Off the Cuff Reviews Whiplash (2014)

This movie's had a pretty profound effect on me. I can't listen to my own typing right now without hearing drums. I know that's a pretty small effect to be considered 'profound', but overall, that's the best way I can describe this movie. Whiplash (2014) will stay with me for a long time now. I figured it might, based on what I'd heard about it, but I was still not prepared for what I'd witness. What an excellent f***ing movie. Starring Miles Teller as Andrew Neiman, J.K. Simmons as Terence Fletcher, Paul Reiser as Jim Neiman and Melissa Benoist as Nicole.

Whiplash (2014)

I'm finding it really hard what to say to fill the bulk of this review. I mean, it's not action heavy. It's not hilarious. It's not huge in scope. It's not feel-good. It's just the story of one man trying to become the best at his craft. And it's so. F***ing. Intense. This is absolutely the most intense movie I've ever seen where no one's life was in danger, and may even be the most intense movie I've ever seen full stop. This movie is proof that you don't have to have a huge, expansive plot to be compelling, heart-wrenching and suspenseful. In fact, the opposite is true. More often than not, a more focused story about one person is far more interesting, as is the case here. The movie really makes you feel for Andrew Neiman, and Miles Teller does an absolutely superb job in this role. He crushes it, and what I love about the character is how he wasn't this beacon of light that I thought he'd be. He's as flawed as anyone else, and he lets things get to him. His treatment of his family, deserved or not, is honestly pretty harsh, and I love it, because he's a real person. A less intelligent movie would have made him this infallible prodigy, but he's just a guy who has a lofty dream and is prepared to work ridiculously hard to achieve it. It's honestly more inspiring than just having him be a magic drum genius.

Miles Teller as Andrew

But, to the surprise of no one, Terence Fletcher is what makes this movie. This is such a compelling character. J.K. Simmons fully deserved the Oscar he won for this movie; he's amazing. Apparently, between takes he was the nicest guy on set, and based on interviews I've seen him in, I don't doubt that. I dread to imagine what it would have been like to work on that movie with a method actor playing Fletcher, especially since the entire movie was shot in 19 days. It would have been hell, but Simmons brought the character to life expertly and magnificently while still being pleasant and professional when the cameras weren't rolling and I love the man for it. It was jarring to watch his acceptance speech for the Oscar he won for this movie and how nice he was in that clip right after watching him play the most abusive, mean-spirited a**hole on Planet Earth. There was the abuse, the torment, the name-calling, but the most dangerous thing about him was how psychological his warfare was. The places he pushed Neiman throughout the movie, the relentlessness of his onslaught, and it took a visible toll on him, not just physically, but mentally. His treatment of Nicole is proof of this, and I'm glad that subplot was in the movie just to show how the abuse of this horrid man had a deep impact on Neiman that he would treat her like that. Also, Melissa Benoist is great in this role and I wanted to see more of her, but this wasn't the movie to show us her story, so let's move on.

Melissa Benoist as Nicole

Staying with Fletcher for a moment, something I absolutely loved is the moment about halfway through where we get to see him at his lowest. Something has had a deep impact on him, and the scene where he's talking about it to his band is honestly really moving. Of course, he's still being a dick here, and what we learn about the significance of this moment later is honestly pretty chilling, but it's moments like this that suck us in to Fletcher. When he's explaining his methodology later in the movie, you almost end up agreeing with him. It of course helps that the entire thing is expertly delivered by Simmons, but he almost wins you over. He very nearly gets you on his side. Then the final 10 minutes happens. And, holy s***, this was one of the best finales I've seen in a movie, no questions asked. I keep coming back to this, but it was so goddamn intense, and it was drumming. Just drumming, and I was on the edge of my seat for almost the entire movie, but especially when the final scene begins, that hit me hard. Right when I thought the movie was turning a corner with a 'story-book' ending, it hits you with the harsh reality of who Fletcher really is. And through all of it, there's still something about him that makes you really want Neiman to impress him and win him over. I honestly have no idea what it is, other than Simmons' performance. You cast any other actor on the planet in this role, and it's nowhere near as effective. That Oscar was rightfully his as soon as he was cast, and he's easily the best thing about this movie.

J.K. Simmons as Fletcher

I've talked a lot about Simmons, but there is a lot more here to contribute to what makes this film so gripping. Not only is well written, but it's exceptionally well directed. The close-ups, the pans, the sound mixing, I swear this is a psychological thriller in disguise. The way the music drowns out as Neiman starts feeling the pain, the quick pans between Neiman and Fletcher in the final showdown, that last 10 seconds; I know I'm focusing a lot on that final scene, but the entire movie built up to it almost effortlessly. Right from the opening shot, zooming down a long hallway to see Andrew at a drumkit; that's all you need. The movie never really goes into why he wants to be a drummer so much. Quite frankly, it doesn't need to. That's not what this story is about, which is weird given the entire f***ing thing is about drumming, but it's honestly not important. Another movie might have given us an explanation, but it's not necessary here. In fact, so much of this movie is not doing what other movies would do. Another movie might have done the tearful reconciliation between student and mentor, the father telling his son he's proud of him after all, the love interest showing up at the last minute to watch the show, we get none of that here, because the movie knows how unnecessary it all is. You don't need all these subplots, you don't need complex character motivations, you don't need any of it. The movie is first and foremost about Andrew Neiman, a young drummer who wants to be the best in the world, and Terence Fletcher, an a**hole teacher who wants to make Neiman really, really work for it. Anything else in this movie only works to service that story, and that story alone. I love how laser-focused it is, it's honestly really refreshing. And did I mention intense? And did I mention in-f***ing-credbile.

Paul Reiser as Jim

Whiplash (2014) is a masterpiece, and is easily the best thing I've seen so far this year. Is it the best thing I've seen altogether? I'd have to give it some thought. Is it top 10? Easily. Is it top 5? Maybe. Whatever it is, it's a feat of storytelling I will remember for a long, long time. 10/10.


No comments:

Post a Comment