Monday, May 7, 2018

Must-See May Day #7: Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)

I think that of all the franchises on my list for this month, this was one of the ones that people were the most shocked that I hadn't seen yet. That classic movie franchise that practically defined a generation, everyone had to have seen this. We even own the DVDs of the trilogy, and I hadn't seen this film until today. I'm glad I have now, as Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) is certainly a great movie and a must-watch if you haven't already (I know you have, I'm just using hyperbole). Starring Harrison Ford as Dr. Henry "Indiana" Jones, Karen Allen as Marion Ravenwood, Paul Freeman as Dr. Rene Belloq, John Rhys-Davies as Sallah, Ronald Lacey as Major Arnold Toht and Denholm Elliot Dr. Marcus Brody.


Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)

This movie is no feat of story-telling prowess, nor is it a movie that discusses any themes particularly well, nor is it trying to be either of those things. First and foremost, this movie is a love letter to the serials of the 1930s and 40s, and it succeeds in this aspect extraordinarily well. There are no immediate criticisms one can make to this film without saying 'That's the point' and that might be the genius of this film. It knows it's nothing ground-breaking, but that in and of itself is what makes it ground-breaking. In that sense, it's almost impossible to review this movie, and not just because it was released 37 years ago and it's become such a classic that everything that could be said about this movie has already been said and by more important people. In a nutshell, this film understands why people want to watch movies. It's goal is ultimately to entertain, and in that regard, it succeeds better than the majority of films I've seen so far this month, if not ever. It knows exactly what it wants to be and it gives you exactly what you want to see, and I have nothing wrong with that.


Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones

Harrison Ford was the perfect pick for Indy. By this point, Ford had already become a household name after the original Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back, but this might just be his best performance out of all of them. I don't know how he does it, but he makes Indy just so relatable, and for a character like this, that's certainly impressive. From the opening scene where we see the end of one of his many adventures, we feel like we've known Indy for years, and they use that opening sequence to great effect, showing us how ingenuitive he is and getting us on his side early on. Equally impressive, though, is Karen Allen's performance alongside Ford. These two have such amazing chemistry, it almost works too well. They get along so well with each other that it's hard to imagine how they split up in the first place. They're the perfect match for each other, and their relationship is one of the things I didn't expect to enjoy as much as I did going into this, so well done movie for that.


Karen Allen as Marion Ravenwood

I would be remiss if I did not talk about this soundtrack. Oh, my God, the soundtrack is by far the best part of this movie. Naturally, Indy's theme itself is a masterpiece, but it goes beyond that. Every track in this movie is placed exactly right, every piece of music fits the tone of the overall movie almost flawlessly. I'll certainly be downloading this soundtrack and adding it to my catalogue very soon. I also have to admire just how simple this story is, and how much it actually works in the movie's favour. The Nazis are chasing something, Indy has to get it first. Simple and effective. Any grandiose and complicated plot would have worked against this movie. A simple treasure hunt was all this movie needed as an excuse to string together some really awesome action sequences. The car chase in particular was so satisfying a set-piece that I didn't want it to end.


John Rhys-Davies as Sallah

Unfortunately, there are one or two occasions where the really simple and uncomplicated plot worked against the film. For as good as the car chase is, I draw the line where Indy manages to slide under a moving vehicle whilst holding onto said vehicle and remaining relatively unscathed throughout. And how he got from the top of a submarine to the naval base without being noticed for that entire journey, I'll never know. I know, suspension of disbelief, but that can only go so far. Also, and I'm not sure how original this observation is, but all things considered, Indy was pretty pointless to the story. With or without his involvement, the Nazis open the Ark of the Covenant and their faces melt. For a character as badass as Indy is, this feels a little wrong. But, those criticisms don't mean much overall, as this is the biggest praise I can give the movie: at one point I paused the movie to refresh my drink, and I thought I was about 10 minutes or so in. I was at the 20 minute mark. The pace of this movie is unbelievable. I was so invested and so enthralled by this movie that I'd lost all track of time and just engrossed myself in the experience. That, first and foremost, is what a movie is supposed to do, and that's why this film is so amazing.


Paul Freeman as Dr. Belloq

Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) is a joy to watch from beginning to end. I'm not sure if this is the high point of the franchise or not (I'm almost certain it's not the low point) but whether it is or not, I'm sure to return to this experience time and time again. 9/10.



Tomorrow: Arnie's back in Terminator 2: Judgement Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment